Friday, June 29, 2007

Day Students

When I was in second and third grades my family lived in Indianapolis, I was a day student for two years, traveling home daily to be with my family at home. The difference in being a day student is that I know that I will see my family that evening at home. As a residential student I had to wait until Friday evening to be with my family at home.

My mom would wake me up at 6:00 a.m. I would get up and get dressed then watch some television in the family room with my sisters. When mom says it is time to eat, my sisters and I go to the kitchen to have breakfast. After breakfast, I brush my teeth, my mom tells me to get my back pack and coat on, it is time to start watching for the school bus. When the bus arrives, I say good bye to my mom then get on the bus. I am the first pick up of the morning, Anna is picked up right after me. The students on my bus are all in high school. As the bus picks up more students, I stare out the window, watching the sky change colors, as the sun starts to rise, in the morning sky.

The bus arrives at school about ten minutes before the first bell of the day. I walked to my dorm, to talk to my friends before school. The bell rang, I went to school with my friends. The last bell of the day rang at 3:15 p.m, I said good bye to my friends, as they headed back to the dorm for the evening. I went to the gym to wait for a teacher to tell me my bus had arrived to take me home. The wait was never very long, I got on the bus to go home for the evening.

When the bus dropped me off at home, I went inside to tell my mom about my day at school. I went to play, outside on the hill with my sisters, until mom said it was time to eat dinner. After dinner, I brushed my teeth, watched television or played Barbie with my sisters. After a while, mom said that it was time to start getting ready for bed, I went to my bedroom, put on my pajama's, then turned off the light and went to sleep. As I drifted off to sleep, I felt very fortunate to be going to sleep in my own bed, instead of in the school dorm.

I wanted to stay connected to the girls in my dorm, my mom made the arraignments for me to stay at school one night per week. On the day that I stayed over night in the dorms, I would take an overnight bag with me to school. In the morning, when I got to the dorm, I would put my bag in my locker, go to school with my friends. After school, I returned to the dorm with my friends, to participate in all of the dorm activities that I missed out on as a day student. At bed time, I liked listening to my friends talk as we all got ready for bed. When I woke up in the morning, the dorm parent was waking me up instead of my mom. I got ready for school with my friends, instead of my sisters at home. I ate breakfast in the school cafeteria, not in the kitchen at home. When we went back to the dorm to brush our teeth and get my books for school. The bell rang, I went to school with my friends. The last bell of the day rang at 3:15 p.m, I said good bye to my friends, as they headed back to the dorm for the evening. I went to the gym to wait for a teacher to tell me my bus had arrived to take me home. The wait was never very long, I got on the bus to go home for the evening. When I arrived home, I told my mom about all of the fun things that I had done at school, I went outside to play with my sisters. I had fun staying the night at school.

No comments: